AKALA and Artists in Conversation
BAFTA and MOBO award-winning UK hip hop artist and writer Akala joins a panel of local hip hop artists, students and activists to talk about the evolution of socially conscious hip hop music, and its inspiration for a new generation of artists and activists.
Discussing themes of remembering, race, respect, rhythm and resistance, they will also respond to the recent Black Lives Matter campaign in the UK and US.
The evening is hosted by Frank and Renee from the Indij Hip Hop Show on Koori Radio, and will include special performances by Akala and surprise guests in a freestyle cypher hosted by Izzy from Emcee-duo Izzy n The Profit.
Akala is in Australia for the his ’10 Years Of Akala’ Australian Tour
University of Sydney staff, students, alumni, can register for one free ticket to the Sydney Ideas forum Akala, Artists and Community on Friday 9 December at 7.30pm. Please register below and then bring your staff or student card, on the day to pick up ticket from the box office.
- Kween G Kibone,Emcee and performer, radio producer and presenter and youth activist
- Evelyn Araluen Corr, PhD Candidate, the University of Sydney,working in Indigenous literature and activism
- Jonathon Potskin, PhD Candidate, the University of Sydney, researchingIndigenous youth and rap music in Canada and Australia
- Kaiya Aboagye, PhD Candidate, the University of Sydney, researchingrace, identity and Aboriginal Australian connections to Africa
- Emelda Davis, Australian South Sea Islanders NSW State Alliance